My name is Ben Poulson and I spend my whole life developing. I currently live in a town named Bournemouth on the South of England.
Development ~ The largest part of my development knowledge lies within server-side development of both websites and Software as a Service (SaaS). I primarily use MVC development frameworks such as Laravel, Play! and Codeigniter on my projects, but I also make effective use of several CMS platforms including WordPress, Drupal and October CMS.
SysAdmin/DevOps ~ The largest part of my systems knowledge lies in Server administration and security. This includes auditing, security hardening, hardware/software firewalls & IDS systems, SIEM systems, network configuration, virtualisation, identity and access management, penetration testing and much more.
I enjoy tinkering with clustered computing, in-memory data grids and high-availability in my spare time, and I'm a massive advocate of Linux, Crypto-currencies, Git, Yeomen, NodeJS and especially Docker.
April 2015 - Current
Senior PHP Developer - 3 Sided Cube - Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Since joining 3 Sided Cube I have worked on creating several highly-distributed scaling cloud platforms. The largest being for the American Red Cross and British Red Cross, who requires us to deal with a huge volume of live worldwide natural disaster and weather information, and then issue emergency push notifications to millions of users worldwide.
In the US, the average warning time when a Tornado is due to occur is 15 minutes. This puts a lot of pressure on us as a company to ensure that millions of push notifications are issued as quickly as humanly possible. We are able to do this by harnessing the power of cloud infrastructures to build fluid scaling services that can deal with the thousands of natural events occuring every hour, and millions of push notifications every week.
May 2014 - April 2015 ( 12 months )
PHP Developer - Thinking Juice - Bournemouth, United Kingdom
- - Daily work consisted of PHP development using Wordpress and Laravel
- - Creation of bespoke strongly branded CMS and campaign solutions for clients
- - Constant use of Git for distributed code management and release versioning
- - High availability Load balancing, Reverse Proxy and Caching implementations and DDoS Mitigation
- - Linux server security and administration (Dedicated and Cloud)
- - Use of Redis and Memcached for content deliverability optimisation
- - Strong use of Google's many API services for client-facing analytical reports
- - Branched Git & Deploy Environments for live & staging environments
Thinking Juice has been named ‘Advertising Agency’ and ‘Integrated Agency’ of the Year and also the UK’s ‘Best in Creativity’, ‘Best in Strategy’ and ‘Best in Effectiveness 2014’.
April 2010 - July 2015 ( 5 years, 4 months )
Founder & Director - Terra Vita Ltd - Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Carrying on from my sole trader freelance work, I have upscaled into a limited company.
I work on projects for both my own company and also for a variety of individuals and clients.
This work ranges from Web & Software development, Server Administration + Security to Big data analysis, predictive modeling and Machine learning (in the form of Neural Networks and Apache Mahout).
February 2014 - May 2014 ( 4 months )
PHP Developer - Critical Media - Bournemouth, United Kingdom
- - Daily work consisted of PHP development using the Laravel framework
- - Creation of bespoke CMS solutions for clients
- - Strong use of RESTful APIs provided by third-parties
- - Constant use of Git to help version my code
- - Created an encrypted off-site backup solution for use in-house and by our clients
- - Liaising with clients to discuss the ongoing work
October 2011 - January 2014 ( 2 years 5 months )
IT Technician (Security Cleared) - KDC Group - Hurn, United Kingdom
- - Windows & Linux Server creation and administration, including Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, VMware ESXI, Samba, iSCSI, DNS, McAfee Enterprise Security Manager, Group Policy and DHCP maintenance
- - Microsoft Reporting Services (SSRS) Report and MSSQL Stored Procedure development
- - Creation of in-house web applications written in PHP using the CodeIgnitor framework
- - IT support over the phone and web help-desk systems
- - Handling sensitive data requiring UK Security clearance
- - Cisco ASA and PIX Firewall configuration and management
- - Business-wide LAN/WAN networking including the use of fibre optics, remote site-to-site VPN links which join our Bournemouth and Bristol networks, firewalls, license servers and routing
- - Liaising with IT staff within other companies such as Cobham, Ferhau, GE and Airbus
Due to the fact that KDC deal with military aviation contracts with the UK Ministry of Defense and other companies, I can't disclose too much about the inner workings of the work I've done here.
April 2010 - October 2011
Full time College studies
Between these two dates I continued my full-time studies at Brockenhurst college.
July 2009 - April 2010 ( 10 months )
PHP developer Solidtech Services Ltd - Bournemouth, United Kingdom
During my time at Solidtech Services ltd, I was working on Web design and development work using HTML, CSS and JS along with PHP/MySQL.
References for all workplaces available at request
- - CompTIA Security+
- - Advanced Level Apprenticeship - IT Software Web & Telecoms Professionals
- - Zend Certified Engineer for PHP 5.5 (Still currently studying)
- - City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles
- - City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
- - IT Functional Skills
Lyndhurst Road, Brockenhurst, Hampshire
- - BTEC Extended National Diploma for IT Practitioners
- - AQA Advanced Subsidiary Computing
- - Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) - Level 3
- - Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) - Level 2
- - Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) - Level 1
I was essentially born into the world of IT. I had my first Apple Mac computer from the age of 5. (See the attached picture)
Ever since then I have been hugely interested in everything computer related.
I created my own website from the age of 12, had started learning PHP from the age of 14, got my first job at 16.
Since then I've self taught myself a plethora of other languages including C#, VB.NET, Java, Perl, Python and more. I believe they all have their uses for the appropriate projects.
Other than IT, there's not that much left to me! I'm a massive coffee enthusiast, enjoy many genres of music and love to travel around.